What is a VA monitor？
VA monitor is the abbreviation of Vertical Alignment liquid crystal, it is one of the most commonly used display manufacturing technologies for most LCD monitors and curved displays. The 16.7M color area and a wide range of visualization angles are the most obvious technical features of VA monitors. At present, there are two main types of VA monitors, one is MVA（Multi-domain vertical alignment） monitor and the other is PVA（Patterned Vertical Alignment） monitor.
The origin of the VA monitor technology can be traced back to the 1970s, but at that time VA monitor could not be called VA monitor, because the Multi-Domain technology was not invented, the visualization angle of the LCD monitor is very narrow, and it is rare in practical applications. So it can only be called DAP (Deformation of vertical Aligned Phase) or VAN (Vertical Aligned Nematic).
However, scientists did not give up research in this field, and continued to invest a lot of time, energy, and huge consumption of money and materials. In the end, these problems hindering the development of the VA monitor was solved due to the efforts of many scientists, especially the scientific research and development team of Fujitsu. After being resolved, the VA monitor has regained the recognition of LCD monitor industry and created a new situation of rapid development.
The working principle of VA monitor
1. MVA (Multi-domain vertical alignment) forms multiple visualization areas by adding Protruding objects. The liquid crystal molecules are not completely arranged vertically when they are static. When voltage is applied, the liquid crystal molecules are arranged horizontally, so that light can pass through all interlayer to show colorful screen content. MVA monitor increases the visual angle to more than 160 degrees, and provides a shorter response time than IPS and TN+FILM.
2. PVA (Patterned Vertical Alignment) is another type of VA monitor launched by Samsung Group. It is an image vertical adjustment tech. By directly changing the structure of the liquid crystal cell, the display performance is greatly improved to obtain a brightness output and Contrast effect better than MVA monitor. From a certain point of view, PVA monitor is a variant technology of MVA monitor. PVA monitor uses the transparent IT0 electrode to replace the protrusions of the liquid crystal layer in MVA. The transparent electrode can obtain better aperture ratio and minimize Waste of backlight.
Features of VA monitor
1. Color richness
The VA monitor is an 8bit screen, which can display 256 red, green and blue (three primary colors). The combination of these three primary colors can form a total of 256*256*256=1677 million colors. Therefore, the VA monitor is one of the many LCD monitor varieties which of the best color richness.
2. Low incidence of bright spots
Both MVA monitor and PVA monitor belong to the normally black mode LCD （liquid crystal display）monitor. When the TFT is damaged and cannot receive the external power supply, the damaged pixel particles usually appear in a dark state. This mode Greatly reduces the possibility of “bright spots” on the LCD monitor.
3. High power consumption
Because the VA monitor uses refraction to let the back light pass through the liquid crystal layer, part of the reflected and refracted light is not used, making it more power consumption than other LCD monitors under the same display brightness. This working principle also fully illustrates that when we lightly press on the VA monitor with our fingers, the halo will appear, because the external force of the screen causes the direction of the long axis of the liquid crystal coating to change, causing the screen to leak light.
What is a IPS monitorIPS monitor is also currently the main mainstream LCD monitor type. It was officially launched by Hitachi Group in Japan in 2001. The liquid crystal molecules use plane switching to improve the viewing angle, use the space thickness, friction strength and effectively use the changes in the transverse electric field drive. Let the liquid crystal molecules make the largest plane rotation angle to increase the viewing angle; no additional compensation film is needed in the manufacture of the product, the display has better visual contrast, and the visualization angle can reach 178 degrees. IPS monitor has the characteristics of large visualization angle and delicate colors but also has the disadvantages of slow response time and high power consumption.
Structural characteristics of IPS monitor
1. The liquid crystal molecules are parallel to the screen
2. Its electrodes are on the same layer
When no voltage is applied, the liquid crystal will not rotate, and the two polarizers will be 90 degrees perpendicular, and it will show a relatively pure black. The IPS monitor wide viewing angle technology also belongs to the normally-black mode liquid crystal technology, which is also IPS better than TN+FILM place.
When a voltage is applied, the liquid crystal molecules rotate to convert horizontally polarized light to vertically polarized light, and light can pass through. By changing the size of the electric field applied on both sides of the liquid crystal molecules, the amount of converted polarized light can be controlled to achieve the purpose of light control.
It should be noted that the display effect of IPS monitor and TN monitor is completely opposite when there is no voltage. However, because the liquid crystal molecules of IPS monitor are lying flat and rotating with or without voltage, it is In the case of viewing angle, its contrast and chromatic aberration performance are the best among the three LCD (liquid crystal display) monitor technologies
Pros and cons of IPS
1. The viewing angle of up to 178 degrees greatly increases the viewing range of the IPS monitor; the colorful images are more realistic, and the hard screen can protect against small scratches to a certain extent
2. High power consumption (low aperture ratio, leading to a large increase in the brightness of the backlight, which leads to a certain loss of power consumption); the response time and the driving voltage is higher than other type LCD monitor
Finally, let us return to the topic at the beginning, which LCD monitor is more suitable for watching TV? The answer is— If you want to buy a flat LCD monitor, the IPS monitor is the best choice; if you want to buy a curved LCD monitor, the VA monitor is the best choice!
YouSee Technology Co., Ltd
Contact Person:Mick Liu (Sales Manager)
Address：5th FL,C Bldg,YongQi Technology Industrial Area,LezhuJiao,Baoan,Shenzhen